Sunday, February 11, 2007

web-stores and backlogs

It's a lazy Sunday and I decided I would catch up on some reading and watching some video that are piling up around here.

One series I downloaded and never got around to was Kiddy Grade. I got this before ADV licensed it - that's my story and I'm sticking to it. Anyway, Just finished watching the first episode (of full series of 24). A little weird ...reminds me a little too much of Dirty Pair. The updated character designs help a little but I couldn't shake the feeling I've seen this before. The Bome line released a 2-pack of the leading ladies and I've yet to open that package up - they've been sealed away since before I moved... maybe it's time to give them some respect... Hmm...

On to the second episode of Witchblade. No, this is not the Top Cow comic - but rather a Japanese take on the concept of a living bio-mech weapon attached to a female human. And it's so Japanese that it's not even funny - includes a post-apocalyptic setting, a lost little girl and sleazy but good-hearted scumbag, a mystery organization, and an even naked-er Witchblade warrior than Top Cow originally published. I don't know what to make of it yet. I'm enjoying the mystery tho...

Went back to a book I put down last summer (or was it the summer before that?). I had finished 2 of 3 stories in an anthology publication of "The Further Chronicles of Conan." I'm not sure why, but at the time the sword & sorcery genre had just taken its toll on me. As of last week, I'm about half way done with the third and final book by Robert Jordan in this collection: Conan the Victorious. Man, those titles were lame. ^_^;

Also have a on the backlog Dawn of War - the adaptation of the Blood Ravens storyline from the video game of that name. The novel has a couple of sequels that I'm realizing are becoming hard to find. I might resort to ordering Dawn of War "Ascension" directly from BlackLibrary.com some time. But we'll see how the first one goes - I've never read a Warhammer novelization before so it'll be interesting at the very least.

Speaking of on-line mail orders... besides that Paypal thing I mentioned last week, there've been a few other items hanging over me...

Back in January when I was all nuts over Ultraman Tiga... yes, you guessed it: I placed an order for volume 2 almost as soon as I'd finished volume 1. I knew they were back-ordered but I decided to try my luck anyway. I got a shipping confirmation today. I suspect it's because I also placed an order for a rare DVD of "Adventures of the Galaxy Rangers."
That's a cartoon from the late 80's I enjoyed as a kid... one of those lost-causes that got cancelled within only 1 season because the syndicated show couldn't nail down a toy deal. Sad - because it was practically America's answer to serialized story-telling a la Japan-anime. Plus it had space cowboys on robot horses, how could you not love that?

Another order pending since ...forever, is something I've been waiting for from YesAsia. I've never done this but it's the first time I have ever (and will ever, likely) buy actual Hello!Project singles. But I figure it's a special occasion. The first disc is a single produced to commemorate the 10th year of H!P and it reunites several members of Morning Musume past and present. It's been out for a month but since I preordered the newest MoMusu single at the same time to save on shipping, it'll only ship this week... The newest MoMusu single can be heard here (hint: it's the first item under "news" labelled "music").

On a somewhat related note (I know, this post is getting really long-winded): is it just me or have e-commerce web-sites been really wacky lately? Both Amazon and YesAsia have been acting strange. For Amazon, my DVD's don't appear in my "open or recently shipping orders" list. I have to click the drop-down list to view it under "within 6 months." And for YesAsia, I almost had a panic attack because my credit card info did not appear with my order so I thought maybe they'd have a problem with it... I don't know what's going on...

Anyway, back to my weekend viewings... Still have that box of Voltron DVDs...

No comments: