Monday, February 05, 2007

The Micro-Samurai

Something I picked up yesterday at the local comics specialty store. I normally have an aversion to any "varient" designs on my favourite characters - and it gets worse when it comes to in-house designs toy companies come up with that have nothing to do with the story as is.

(yes yes, Batman is a trained martial artist, but he was never a Samurai).

This is however a "Microman" - old school folks will remember these babies from the late 70's as "Micronauts." And in a strange irony, this variant design looks more like a Microman figure than any of the other licensed "Micro-Action" series figures I've ever encountered (exception being another Batman shown here which actually does have the "all chrome head" scheme familiar to Micronauts fans. I've since fallen in love with both and intend to hunt down last year's "Cyborg Superman" as well.

Sadly, mine had cracks in the plastic arms at the elbows. I don't know if the plastic was brittle and was already cracked when I bought it or it my manhandling the box out in the freezing cold yesterday on my way home had anything to do with it. I've repaired it as best I could with super-glue but that makes for permanently positioned joint... it's just too delicate to make a working hinge out of the remains. Too bad.

No comments: