Thursday, November 23, 2006

Star Wars: something else forgotten

Hey y'know what I discovered tonight? My television was calibrated to THX standard! And that probably means neither is my computer monitor.

See, I was one of those folks who've been complaining that my 2004 boxed set of Star Wars had the weird "rectangle frames" over the TIE-fighters during the escape from the Death Star (you remember - the scene where Luke and Han sit in the turrets of the Millenium Falcon and shoot at the passing Imperial fighters). Yeah, that scene. If you're tv is too bright, you start to pick out this awkward "bright square" that trails along each frame with a TIE-Fighter craft. It's kinda hard to explain...

Anyway, I was goofing off with the different settings on my TV tonight on a whim switched over to the "Movie" setting. Then it occured to me that I should watch that scene and see if making the switch made any difference (see, the "Movie" setting is a preset with darker contrast and slightly sharper colours). As it turns out, the hidious squares suddenly disappeared. Huh - go figure... I'll never say I had "too many settings" about my hardware again.

No comments: