Monday, January 30, 2006

The biggest "lucky packet" ever

This is highly unusual but I've decided to blog about Chinese New Year weekend in this blog rather than my depressing life-blog under FusionAce. You'll see why later.

First I want to thank for Preppygirl for leaving that link to Chuck Norris' personal response to the Internet funny "Chuck Norris Facts." I'm glad to hear he's not taking it the wrong way (if people hated him so much they wouldn't set up a tongue-in-cheek list spoofing his invicible character from the Delta Force movies (who I should point out was even more unstoppable than Rambo)... Still, it doesn't change the fact that Chuck could roundhouse kick you so hard your grandkids would feel it. ^_^;

So where was I? Oh yeah, side note: I did indeed get some more work done in the bathroom on Friday. Looks like they did a second plaster coating (I think). At least that's the only way I explain the debris in the tub... I hope they don't forget to come in today to finish it off.

Back to the topic: so it was the Lunar New Year on Sunday. Traditionally Chinese folk travel to their hometowns to spend time with family and I decided that I could do the same (not that I had all that much to do here anyway). Actually I was more or less looking for an excuse to go home and get spoiled. But the Lucky Packets don't hurt either.

Lucky packets are little red envelopes of money given to children by parents (and older relatives). It's a symbol of luck and prosperity - like a nest egg for the new year to come. Since the tradition of giving out these packets are practically pre-historic, the traditional rules haven't changed for a while... For instance, marriage is a point in one's life when a boy becomes a man (well, this was the norm once upon a time). So, in a sense, I'm still a child; which also means I get to receive lucky-money (and I also don't have to give it).

Which works out great since I jokingly accepted a set of 2.1 computer speakers from my dad. He was a little unhappy with them because they didn't have a head-phone jack... and when my brother is gaming in the living room on the faster PC, the noise bugs the hell out of him. He downgraded back to the plain vanilla speakers we had from years ago. The 2.1 set was put back into it original Cyber Acoustics box... which is red all over. What a nice lucky-packet to receive... not money, but I'll settle for this; it matches the blue LEDs on my computer case. ^_^;

Anyway, drove back home last night in the southern Quebec blizzard. Took nearly a full 5 hours. And boy, I'm paying for it this morning. Naturally I couldn't sleep when I got in, so I slept in this morning... ugh.

Seems to be a recurring theme because I slept a lot this weekend. I didn't make it home on Friday. Stopped by in Montreal to see Jet and his wife. On bright side, he's not a night owl. We stayed in for the evening after supper and watched a cool Japanese movie they had about a samurai who find himself trapped in temple forced to fight a local Tengu (a forest goblin). But man, it was weird...
After the movie I decided I wasn't up for another 2 hour drive so I crashed in their living room. But not before driving another mutual friend home (we all knew each other from university; but not very well) and getting lost in Montreal.

Hmm... that mutual friend asked me why he hadn't gotten to know me very well until now... I should blog about my reply. Maybe later ...and maybe as FusionAce.

No comments: