Monday, November 21, 2005

Anime: Pretty Cure

I haven't grown up. Or I've grown to a point where I'm aware that sometimes I just wanna kick back and watch mindless escapism entertainment.

This morning, one of my fellow cartoon cohorts brought me a DVD-ROM he made filled with GIJoe cartoons (mostly remake stuff that has been more recent than people our age are familiar with). UG caught me with the colourfully labelled disc under my arm and giggled. At which I could only stone-face: "Look, I'm not embarrassed to show that I do watch cartoons because I know we've reached a point where we will never be together anyway - and so I really don't care what you think of me anymore anyway."

This all reminded me that I hadn't blogged about my latest anime craze, Pretty Cure.

I was at my favourite amateur art web-site when I stumbled across a couple of portraits I was unfamiliar with. After looking it up, I discovered that it was one of those titles that'll never get licensed in America... hence the abundance of fan-sub-titled videos available for download (all legal until somebody licenses it for distribution here).
I loaded my PSP with the videos (about 10 episodes) and watched a bunch of them over the weekend. And you know what? I'll be damned if I'm going to be judged by anyone. It's good clean fun. As time has gone by and I let go of the more children-oriented titles, I realized that I missed something while watching the more adult-oriented titles like Ghost in the Shell. Sometimes I just want to sit back and see some cute kids battle evil overlords... something lighter in fare than questions about mortality and morality; something a little more innocent and naive. That's what escapism is all about.

No comments: