Thursday, August 14, 2008

about nothing

Some upkeep...
For those missing my blog entries, my PC at home has finally driven me
to abandon it. You may have noticed my Twitter feed mentioning a recent
BSoD. Indeed since that incident on Monday evening, I haven't really
been up and running (except for a breif stint on Tuesday morning).
Either way, enough is enough and the effort to reinstall Windows on
potentially faulty 10-year-old hardware is not very appealing.

Today I placed an order at NCIX for a new laptop. This'll be my first
one (I've always thought of myself as a PC enthusiast; but over the
years have concluded that I don't upgrade often enough to make it worth
my time). Yet another lesson I picked up from EvilTwin (hellos go out to
wherever he is today): usability should prioritize over maintainability.

In the end I settled on an ASUS M50VM-A1. Not terribly fast and furious,
but it is still classed in the "gaming" category. Nvidia would have you
believe it's a multimedia device according to its description of the
9600M GS GPU. But on the bright side of everything, I spent about a
fraction of what I would have if I went with a pure-gaming rig like a
Dell XPS 1730. So for all intents and purposes, I'm happy.

Other crap...
Finished reading the rest of Marvel's "Annihilation: Conquest" event and
now looking forward to the collected editions to come for the relaunch
of the "Guardians of the Galaxy" franchise. And more than that, the next
volume of Nova because his adventure is abruptly cut short in the middle
of the Conquest story-line... And I'm dying to read exactly what
happened while he wasn't in the main plot.

Went to the comics shop today and grabbed the first volume of Gurren
Lagann (I know, the second volume is out, I'm just late to the game). I
loved this series in fansub form (nothing beats free). I did get a CD
single of the theme song out of buying legit. Also followed Weirdguy to
Value Village again. This time I scored a replacement motor for my mini
RC car for only a few bucks. It's a complete set of upgrades, but really
all I was interested in was the motor... Maybe I'll sell off the rest to
Weirdguy as he also has a few Bit Char-G vehicles.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

NCIX eh? I pass them 3 times a week! It's a good store to buy computer stuff from.

MrBabou said...

I agree. Plus they have 'magic-fast' shipping! :-D

Ben-Ohki said...

Yah, not many places will get you same-day shipping. NCIX is tops in my book.
Also I was super lucky that my cousin happened to be visiting and could sign for my UPS package (otherwise I would only be able to request a hold and pick-up for Tuesday!)