Thursday, December 06, 2007

More WH Backlog

I freely admit to people who don't play that Warhammer is a very involved and potentially expensive hobby. While you can sub in a few items like rulers, dice, props to serve as terrain, other cheaper brands of paints, etc... Heck, you could conceivably play and never own a rule-book (you just share a copy with someone else). There are a few things you can't really substitute: the models themselves. It would simply be too confusing to remember what miniature is proxy for what Warhammer unit.

Then there's the little upgrades which can signify two things... either you have gone hardcore... or you have money to burn. :p

So anyway, here's what I found in my mailbox today (here's a hint: if you hunt around a bit, you'll eventually find a lot of places who will sell below the "official MSRP" from Games Workshop:Yup another Crisis Battlesuit (I have plans for this box which I will explain later). What I'm really laughing at myself for buying is the two tins of official Warhammer dice. The box on the left is the WH40K edition dice that I can't seem to find in stores any more. I'm just sort of geeking over it because now I have my own set. What I'm REALLY amused about is the middle box: a tin of "Big Gun Dice" that goes with the recent Apocalypse "anything-goes" book.
Here's a pic of my collection of specialize Warhammer tins... none of which are absolutely necessary for playing...Far left: WH40K-themed dice set - 8 with "bullet holes" for the dots and the Imperial "hawk" emblem for the "1" face. Also includes the scatter die.
Middle left: the Big Guns Dice - oversized dice featuring the Mechanicus Adeptus logo (I think) for the "1" face. Also includes the scatter die.
Middle right: Vehicle Damage dice - each face has a corresponding icon representing the possible damage caused by weapons fire on a vehicle.
Far right: Cities of Death "stratagem" markers - plastic chips with a bunch of icons on them for use in marking buildings and locations on the play field.

And... really, you need NONE of these special dice to play. Often you can always find a way to randomize anything with normal dice with faces marked 1 through 6. And that includes the directional scatter dice (just say 1 thru 4 for the four directions of the table edges and 5 and 6 are "on-target"). But it makes me feel totally geeky to know I have all this crap at my disposal now. :)

No comments: