Friday, December 07, 2007

Crisis Commander Battlesuit 1

Remember that Crisis Battlesuit kit that arrived last night?
It's a pretty simple build: 3 pieces make up the torso, and a "ball joint" connects the limbs. And this being the ninth Crisis torso I've put together, I've learned an important trick: you need to keep the "backpack" parts squeezed together while the crazy glue dries. Here I've used an elastic band to tie the handle of my cutter together. The rubber grip provides a soft surface that won't damage the model.So far, there's not much decision making to do. But from here on, it's coming up with a "mock-up" pose. No glue yet, just fitting pieces together to get a rough idea what it might look like when done. I am substituting in "bitz" from a Commander Suit box I have leftover from another model.And finally... glue. And also, seeing as metal bitz have a tendency to not fit onto plastic well, I've used some model putty to fit the head on securely instead of glue.
The only thing not fixed at this point is the exact position of the feet and missile-pod on the upper left (his right). I've also made a terrible discovery at this point: the feet are spread too far apart for him to stand on the standard base. The base is important because it plays a role in the actual game (it delineates when a model is considered in close-combat with another model or not).
In my next post I will talk about modifying the base to accept a "flight" base stand to provide additional support to this thing. It'll take the better part of a day or two for the putty to cure anyway.

No comments: