Monday, September 17, 2007

Messenger roll-out screws me!!

Messenger is arguably the most polished of the IM clients out there. I tried a few others in my day but nothing is more intuitive than Live Messenger (formerly MSN Messenger). It keeps me in touch with friends and family (particularly my mother who likes to go on-line early in the morning and sometimes we video-chat; and it's all free - unbeatable!).

Well, if you haven't heard about it yet, this past week Microsoft decided it was time to roll out version 8.1 - but in the process crushed any sense of normality I had come to expect with Messenger. Somehow, the network refresh completely wiped me out!

Now there's an up-side to this... For the last 11 months I've been using an outdated email address to sign-in to Messenger. An email address acts as one's LiveID. You can change your email in your LiveID profile, but you cannot change the actual LiveID itself. This morning for whatever reason (I guess somebody else claimed my old Sympatico address finally) LiveID prompted me to update my username. So I gave it my new Rogers email address. Easy right?

Wrong.

Firstly, I've since discovered that I lost all my custom emoticons, custom avatars, and backgrounds for chat-windows (which was a very ero-kawaii Misaki Kureha from Divergence Eve, by the way).

Secondly, I don't know if this is new or what... but just now a buddy helped me test my setup. And boy did it act funny. Let's say we're in already in a chat window and I decide to hide by going "Appear Offline." Suddenly my friend could not continue our conversation... any further messages he typed into our chat window instead went to some kind of temporary hotmail inbox (and I assure you, I don't have a hotmail address). Talk about bizzarre!

Anyway, excuse me while I go try to rebuild all my missing emoticons and stuff.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Msn is always screwing up! I remember when it was blocking contacts for no reason! If they would focus on quality rather than adding more crap to it, maybe so many people wouldn't be pissed off.