Tuesday, May 22, 2007

watch everything

Furthering my need to enhance my geekness, here's my backlog as of right now:

Heroes episode 23 (actually I just finished watching this so it's not really in the backlog anymore). Very cool season finale! Our main cast is in bad shape when it's all over but I'm quite surprised just how many survived (unless they'll die off-screen before the next season picks up).
Y'all must've heard by now about the proposed spin-off series that will introduce new powered characters over the course of the summer? I heard that fans will get to vote on their favourite new powers and the winners will be fleshed out further to appear as main characters in season 2. That'd be an interesting experiment.

Still watching episodes of Ultraman Tiga - on the final disc as I mentioned earlier. Finally hit the "evil Tiga" two-parter. Further proof that I haven't been spoiled by the serialized nature of shows like Heroes because this was great and I enjoyed it immensely. That would be true of most "mythology episodes" in any given series. We actually got to see Daigo be a real hero in this story.

Picked up volume 3 of Voltron the other day. Best Buy had it for cheap... it was a no brainer to add it to the collection. Mrbabou understands this - the case is a tin box with an embossed robot-lion motif and the inside is sort of "digipak" of the 3 discs. I'm a sucker for that kind of thing.

Finally got my hands on the domestic release of Masked Rider The First. I blogged this before so I want to address the DVD specifically this time. I'm a little disappointed. I went out of my way to find a legit copy to support Media Blasters who were good enough to know there's a niche market for this sort of thing. But I have no choice than to slam them for not giving said niche a full 5.1 Dolby Digital soundtrack. I know this mix exists because if you browse places like YesAsia, the Region 2 original from Japan has it.
All I can do now is content myself with knowing that I supported the legal licensed property of a movie I've already pirated once before. Oh well. At the very least of it, Media Blasters softens the blow by including a behind-the-scenes look at the filming of Kamen Rider.

1 comment:

MrBabou said...

I understand alright ;-)

I'm not an anime fan, and still, I almost picked up the special edition of Advent Children at Archambault the other day...

[... off to buy a couple of those Genesis re-releases, which include 5.1 mix DVDs...]