Tuesday, May 29, 2007

The region 2 experience

Well, after hemming and hawing a lot, I finally got around to getting an official legit DVD of the big-screen incarnation of Ultraman. In a weird circular way, this is the movie that made me come down hard on Media Blasters for releasing only a 2ch soundtrack on Masked Rider (it still think it sucks). See, this was the polar opposite of the Masked Rider remake - the director went full-speed with the FX and even had a fully CG aerial combat scene... perfect material for a surround sound mix.

Unfortunately, Japan's grasp of 5.1 sound mixing still isn't up to par with Hollywood. It's good... but it isn't great. And actually I detected a "wrong channel" moment when one of the beasts flew "behind me" on the right of the screen but the sound effect came from my left!

But still, after playing with decrypting the region 2 disc and finally managing to successfully burn the disc to a region free DVD so that I can watch this film on my home theatre... I go to bed satisfied.

No comments: