Sunday, July 09, 2006

Reaction: Superman Returns

So I finally went to see the newest Superman film last night (went with babou - plans with Starfish had fallen through). Instead of reviewing the actual film and discussing the multitude of trivia (yes, yes, Brando is apparently back from the dead, Jimmy is now a bartender, and the original Lois signs over her worldly possessions to a bad man, etc)... you can read all that over at Wikipedia. No, I'd rather talk about how I felt: and it was a great feeling.

I think it's because Singer couldn't seem to decide if he wanted this to be a sequel or a remake - the plot is surprisingly familiar. But oh how visceral it becomes! In fact, it's been a while since I've watched a fantasy-based film and not had to say, "err, that CG was horribly out of place." Yes, I did like the "bullet-time" FX seen in the promo trailer. In fact, the only time I found anything a little "off-centre" was during a hand-to-hand when some wire-fu was involved (some people - I won't say who - get thrown awfully far).

Anyway, I never realized how emotionally attached I am to the Man of Steel. The main title nearly brought a tear to my eye. And I think of all the thumbs pointing up and down on this film, this is all that really matters: context. It's a fun movie.

And speaking of fun...

No comments: