Monday, July 17, 2006

Reaction: Propel "fitness water"

So I found this stuff for 99cents per 700ml bottle at the supermarket... "From the makers of Gatorade" it said on the bottle. What's there to lose? I mean, I like Gatorade - it does what it's marketted to do ("The Thirst Quencher" they say) when I'm working out and sweating heavily.

Well, I grabbed an "orange" flavour and tried it - a little before the run and the rest after the half-hour run. I won't talk about the actual content because you can look that stuff on up anywhere, but I will say what it was like from a thoroughly uninformed point of view: it was kinda disgusting.

It tasted a bit like when I have a glass of orange juice, then forget to wash out the glass, and fill it with water a little while later and have a gulp. That's what "flavoured water" tastes like. It's not flavourful like juice would be, nor is it anything like the watered-down taste of Gatorade. But that said, it's actually kinda realistic, then... I mean it really tasted like there was a trace of real OJ in the bottle.

Did it feel particularly good? Well, there was a slight burning sensation in my throat. At first I was a little worried - the bottle label mentions all sorts of CYA "consult a physician" business. But "burning throat" was not one of the symptoms listed so I figure it's probably just me being sensitive to the acidity in it... after all, almost all the vitamin content advertised is in the form of some acid.

Will I buy this stuff again? Probably not. Will I try other similar products? Maybe - I hear Coca Cola LTD just released some sort of "fitness water" under their PowerADE brand called "Option" and I'm told it's not as acid so if the price is right, I'll give that a go.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh man, glad I read this! I won't even bother trying this stuff. I hate acidic drinks. I like regular Gatorade though.