Friday, July 21, 2006

No Patlabor2 @ $65

Why yes, I AM that picky... First, some inside information - the Patlabor 2 LE box I was talking about a few posts ago has a MSRP of about $100CAD... And here's some insider information for you: the supplier to HMV (who can special order it for you) sells it to the retail giant for about $60CAD. Which means depending on the manager's mood, he can either make anywhere from 5 to 40 in profit.

Well, as it stands, I stumbled on somebody else's special order who didn't pick it up and the box was tagged at $66... I was needless to say, stunned and almost bought it on the spot. The one thing that stopped me was a gaping hole in the plastic sleeve it came in. Not to be mistaken for shrink-wrap, the Patlabor movies come with Japanese-style resealable sleeves over the cases (a feature most so-called "collector's editions" in North America are dreadfully missing). I tried to explain this to the manager but he understandably did not want to lower the price any further (which is fair enough). I'll gladly pay an extra $5 at Amazon to get a pristine version.

It's a just a crying shame that these things can happen - that a product gets damaged as such either during shipping or even at the hands of a careless employee in the back with an Xacto knife. Hopefully somebody out there can find it in their heart to give this copy the love that I can't. *sigh*

No comments: