Sunday, July 09, 2006

Comics: Supergirl #7

Why do I keep self-inflicting this crap onto myself? I guess in the end, I sort of like the idea of a Supergirl - a wannabe version of Superman but just can't be. But the latest Supergirl issue is enough to drive me bananas...

First of all, despite complaints against Ian Churchill's grasp of the female body, I don't mind so much - this is the comics world after all and there's always room for stylizing the human shape a little. But never mind the weak confusing script that's been dragged on over two issues so far (I won't go into detail, but suffice it to say, of all the "One Year Later" leaps, this title does it the worst with absolutely no connection between anything that happened in issue 5 before the "Crisis" story-lines kicked in)... Seems Supergirl and Powergirl are both trapped in the Kandor "bottled city" and are moonlighting as new versions of Kandor's heroes "Nightwing" and "Flamebird.").

On the bright side, as a setting for the requisite moral-dilemma scene, the script has called for a shower-scene...

..I have no problems with Supergirl and Powergirl taking a shower. However, I do have a problem with Churchill's idea of what constitutes good sequential art several pages later...

After triggering an ambush, against the Superman imposter (who's identity is STILL not revealed many months into publication of this arc) ...just look in the last two panels and tell me something is not weird - I dare you. That looks like Flamebird all beat up ...and in the very panel right next to that? Yes, that's Flamebird and Nightwing zooming into action... I had to read this 3 or 4 times before I figured out what was going on!! Seems that's one of the resistance fighters wearing Flame-bird styled armour, and "Kal" goes and removes her helmet in the bottom right panel (distracted from the real heroines behind him).
However NOWHERE prior to this did we ever see anybody else dressed as such - it's absolutely jarring (not to mention confusing) that there's more than person dressed as Flamebird on the page without any explanation. ARGH!

No comments: