Thursday, April 06, 2006

Irony: dead televisions

The universe is against me.

For years I've been talking about getting a fancy new LCD flat-panel widescreen television. But did anyone notice that I stopped talking about in the last several months? That's because I honestly believe that for a big ticket item like that, I should set aside my luxury wants and save up money for the house I'm buying...

History:
I've always semi-regretted the television I have in my tiny appartment. It was an impulse purchase with a couple of university buddies when they came to visit me way back when. At the time I woefully lacking in foreward thought... the set I bought, however sturdy, does not have an S-Video jack (or anything other than plain old RCA-style composite for a VCR)... Hell, a DVD player I bought back in 2001 had Component RGB plugs. Boy was I kicking myself.

The Plan:
I'd been desperately waiting for my folks to take this baby off my hands. The main set back home is a 20-year old JVC that refuses to die (sheesh, it's older than most members on the TC forum!). I kept expect that POS to just keel over at any moment so that I could "generously" give away my own television (and thus free up space to get a shiny new thing for myself!)... No such luck.

Fate Laughs:
Well, here we are in 2006... my mom calls me tonight to let me know the JVC finally cashed out. Even dad realized that the tube in the tiny Sears POS they had in the bedroom (now where the JVC used to be) is sharper and brighter than the 20-year-old junker. You've heard of k-cars? Well, this was a K-tv. And guess what? I honestly don't feel like getting a new TV now because I seriously do not want to risk moving it to my new house in 6 months... what a hassle.

My parents insis though that they certainly are willing to take my tv according to my plan but *sigh* I never imagined it was going to happen this way...

No comments: