Thursday, April 02, 2009

Tournament of n00bs

Here we are, a bunch of IT yuppies and I open my big mouth one day. Not coincidentally the same day that Weirdguy happens on a big stack of somebody's unwanted Magic: The Gathering cards at Value Village for a couple of bucks. See what I have wrought.

It is about 3 months later since I opened my big mouth. "We should play. I've never played before. Now's my chance," I said.

Players popped out of the woodwork when passers-by caught Weirdguy and I playing together during our lunch-break. And today is day one of our Round-Robin tournament. 9 players and at stake is Fat Pack of the upcoming Alara Reborn set (paid for by the entry fees we collected and pooled).

And in game 1 of the round-robin format... I lost. The unthinkable scenario: I play a heavily-modified Jund deck at 5 colours - and I did not draw a single red mana. The only damage I was able to deal (and I suspect my opponent was pitying me, because he should have been able to chump-block me) was 6 points by combining a Grixis Battlemage with a Might of Alara.

I will make a post every day I participate in the tournament to report the goings on. I only hope a reshuffle will bring me better luck down the line.

No comments: