Tuesday, April 07, 2009

Tournament of n00bs (Day 4)

I stopped my 2-game losing streak by winning in style today. Some days luck just swings in my favour. I played an old-school player using a 4th edition deck of black. And while he was able to play several small Creatures, the first was an Artifact so I was able to at least get delay his game while I built up a mana pool of Lands. I quickly built a large collection of Lands (including my core Jund colours in Basic Lands).

Then the terrible killer combo in my hand was ready: My Exploding Borders finalized all 5 Basic Lands to open with 5 damage. Next turn came a Hellkite Overlord, which alone is already devastating. The final move in my attack combination was lacking only 1 mana (it would have been sweet if it played out in one turn), I held in my hand a Dragon Fodder and a Predator Dragon. So instead, I used what red mana I had to get my goblin tokens and the rest to boost the Hellkite Overlord. It seemed my opponent’s luck had run out because he couldn’t play anything this turn allowing me to next Devour the goblins creating an 8/8 Predator Dragon. And very little in this universe can withstand the attack of 2 Dragons with Haste combined.

My previous losses have taken its toll on my standing in the round-robin, however. At the moment I sit in fifth position with only 2 wins and a ratio of 40%. Weirdguy on the other hand has continued to rack up the wins landing in first place with a 100% win ratio so far.

No comments: