Monday, March 30, 2009

my stupid flipping adventure

Let me tell you a story about what happened with my copy of Rock Band for PS3.

I got it used a few weeks ago for a very reasonable $23. I should have actually been able to buy it for $21 because I later realized I had a coupon for a discount on used games. But just as well, at least I wasn't paying EBGames' extortion of a price for a used copy (somewhere on the order of $50 or so).

What I really wanted it for, of course was simply to export the song library to my PS3 so that I could have an additional 58 songs in Rock Band 2. Which I did later on (in fact, just this past weekend I finally unlocked every on-disc song from RB2 which meant it was time to rotate in some new material). Between the price tag of a used disc and the export key, I invested just under $30.

But what if... it didn't have to be that way? What if I turned around and sold it back to the store for trade-in credit? I got $8.40 for it... which... well... I suppose I could have made twice as much selling it on eBay. But I'm just not that kind of guy. My time is not worth that so for me, being in an electronics store and having eight bucks in my pocket is a better proposal.

...now if only I knew what I wanted to buy. Because as usual... when I do have a gift certificate for anything... I never find anything I want.

No comments: