Monday, April 06, 2009

Tournament of n00bs (Day 3)

I played 2 more Round-Robin match-ups today in the tournament.
First up was Weirdguy who finally came back from vacation. A decent amount of Land came up off the draw (neither side asked to mulligan). I counted on my wide variety of colours to keep me afloat. Weirdguy got out a series of small Creatures with Lifelink which easily got him a constant supply of health. I blocked with a Sprouting Thrinax hoping the resulting Saprolings would be useful later (they were not other than to perform chump blocks; this does nothing to prevent the Lifelink from triggering). My only saving grace was to deploy a Hellkite Overlord. His Flying, Haste, and Trample combination kept cancelling out the Lifelink effects so that my opponent kept hovering between 10 and 20 points. But as the turns went on, his smaller creatures inevitable cut me down each turn.

In my second game today, I played another dreadfully mediocre game. I don’t think I was particularly unlucky as much as my opponent was extremely lucky. I drew the usual selection of Lands and a few random creatures. I played an Exploding Borders for 4 points of damage, and also a Grixis Battlemage who served only as a normal 2/2 attacker. But a few turns later my opponent played a series Sorcery in postcombat to deal nearly 15 points of damage. I groaned, realizing that had I not been so eager to play the Exploding Borders the previous turn, that I did indeed have enough mana to play the Lich’s Mirror still in my hand. Such is a fatal error I will not make a second time.

Officially, my win ratio drops to 25% today (having played 4 games in the round-robin and only winning 1 so far). If I've done my math right, I'll need to win all my remaining round-robin games to advance... not bloody likely! :)

No comments: