Tuesday, March 25, 2008

The Final Word on the 450VX

(As far as I'm concerned anyway!)

Well, I'm back from visiting my parents. I went with two PSUs in my baggage. My old Enermax (which really had nothing wrong with it to begin with except its age) and the troublesome Corsair I had blogged about previously. I was armed with only a medium Phillips screwdriver...

Well, when I got home, I pulled out the temp PSU I had thrown in a month ago when their original PSU blew up in a spectacular puff of black smoke. Then I mounted the Corsair into the case using a gentle bit of elbow grease (it seemed to be about a fraction of a millimetre too big - I think it was the larger fan-grill on the bottom of the VX series). Anyway, it went in and plugged in just barely. The 20-24-pin combo plug was a tight fit for their particular motherboard. And then... [insert drum roll], the machine booted up.

And it continued to boot up. In fact, it booted normally throughout the rest of the 4-day Easter weekend. So, reluctantly, I decided to let my folks keep the sexy new PSU. So now everything in my own home is back to status quo (The old Enermax is back in my machine), and $80 has gone into my parents' POS machine.

No comments: