Saturday, March 01, 2008

DS-Lite - a few days later

I go through those phases where I don't buy crap for weeks. And then there are the other times I just suddenly "feel like splurging." I've only had my DS for week or so. And I'm loving the Lunar RPG (while Cooking Mama got old real quick).

On Thursday my buddies at work quickly organized a Mario Kart DS tournament. If Nintendo did one thing right that Sony can't catch up with, it's that the games are small enough and the system RAM is big enough, game sharing is very very workable. With only one cartridge, 6 of us were able to connect to each other and race each other. How cool is that?

Anyway, Napoleon tipped me off to an awesome deal at Best Buy.I picked up this storage case today along with both my own copy of Mario Kart DS and New Super Mario Bros. I'm pleased with the case - the inside is a soft rubbery lining that grabs the DS and the game cards. There's also room for a spare stylus (but why people lose those things, I don't understand since the DS has a frickin' slot built into it to keep the stylus!). There isn't much to be said for Mario Kart: it's a racing game. But I'm really loving the newest take on Super Mario - this is so cool it's almost retro. It's really an updated classic. Feels a bit like Super Mario Bros. 3 to me, which is nice, since I never got to play SMB3 all the way through in the old days (I didn't even own an NES back then).
Anyway, both games can be had for a sweet $30 each. Both great deals if you compare against typical retail pricing for either. The case by Intec was not on sale... but was on a shelf at eye level... and cost me $15. But that was alright since I figured, I played the game of hunt-for-best-price when I first got the DS. If I rationalize it that way, I actually got the case for $5. Hmm... O.o

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What you need is an R4, then you can get all the games you want - no need for a carrying case.!

Ben-Ohki said...

I know a guy with an R4 - I admit, it's cool. You can sample any game you can find online.

But there's also something special about owning legit game cards. I like to collect games. This is sort of like when it's not quite the same having an actual DVD in your hands compared to having downloaded rip.