Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Darlie - people thought we were racist

What I have here today is a tube of toothpaste brought back from Hong Kong. Over in HK, you're either using Crest ...or you're using Darlie brand (which is today owned by the Colgate folks).
Above is a pic of the card packaging. Note the big friendly logo in English words... but also note the vaguely contemporary gentleman... Well, he wasn't so vague in the past. Indeed, unless you're totally oblivious, it used to be man of African-descent. And the brand (before the corporate takeover by Colgate) was indeed once known as "Darkie." Knowing that, I found it oddly amusingly suspicious that the original Chinese name appears only in a very small font in the fine-print:
Looking carefully, you'll find the 4 Chinese words that mean "black person tooth paste." Why this name was chosen, I won't go into detail here (Wikipedia does a pretty good job of that anyway). But I do find it funny that nobody really gave a damn about it before Colgate bought the brand and a bunch of outsiders thought it'd offend a population that is pretty much non-existent where this product is marketed.

And in reality anyway... once you open the box...
There's the original Chinese name as prominent as ever right on the tube! If you ask me, the whole thing is hardly more offensive than Uncle Ben or Aunt Jemima. But then again, maybe I'm just a racist too.

PS: if anybody's wondering, the toothpaste is bland yet simple minty-fresh affair. What did you expect?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

As a person with many black friends, I don't think they would be offended, and nor am I.. I think it's kinda funny!