Monday, March 03, 2008

ATX weirdness

In the 24 hours following my install of the Corsair VX450W PSU into my box (with an Asus A7N8X-E motherboard), I've discovered something ...weird.

From a "cold" start, I must press the ATX power switch twice. The first press doesn't do anything. But a second press will boot up the PC. Once up and running, it exhibits no symptoms of unstable power or anything.

And instead of holding-for-a-second to shut down, simply pressing and releasing the ATX power button will cause the PC to power down (including proper shut-down of the OS and everything!). In fact, it behaves exactly like it should if I had pressed-and-held-for-a-second.

Now the weirdness of shutting down doesn't bother me much. Because I can't even remember when the last time was I had to use the physical ATX switch to shut down my PC. I always use the OS software shut-down. But it does bother me that I must hit the switch twice to turn on. I can't help the feeling "if it's not working properly, that might be a symptom of something else wrong."

Update: a couple of hours later while browsing my motherboard manual, I've learned that the power-down delay is a programmed behaviour of ATX. For some reason, my board's default CMOS setting is for "instant-off" when you hit the power switch while the PC is on. After playing in the BIOS, I was able to set the delay on - tested and working. Just proves what I said about not using that function too often, eh? "not often" as in "never."

No comments: