Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Confessions of a Magic n00b 2.0

After my second time playing M:TG with my deck I've come a second conclusion - I still suck. I played 2 games with a co-worker today (same Shards of Alara red deck). He played with a scratch-built deck he threw together from leftover cards.

After one game where I was quite easily trampled... my opponent was convinced I had way too many Lands in my deck. However, I counted everything out and the 2:1 Creature-to-Lands ratio was indeed respected. Again I had fallen victim to bad suffling and had drawn too many Lands in my first game. And this was AFTER a mulligan off the draw.

In my second game, things turned out somewhat better. In fact, it was almost perfect on the draws. I started with a series of smaller creatures. Played several cards that allowed cheap-shots at the opponent (deal a damage by tapping a card). I even had several 1/1 tokens in play before busting out a Devour creature that resulted in 8/8 stats. And of course, by sacrificing all those smaller creatures, Hissing Iguana also dealt a bunch of damage for the turn.

Unfortunately, that was where my luck ended. My oppoenent (playing a white/blue deck) used Chump blocks and preventative magics to cut down on my combat effectiveness. It was only a matter of time before he attacked en masse, chipping away at my life counter down to zero.

This is where my biggest problem with gaming factors in: I find for gaming, I generally have a lot of bad luck. Either bad draws and shuffles in CCGs. Or just bad dice-rolls in table-top war-gaming. Hmm... just need to play the odds and continue until I win a few matches.

No comments: