Monday, January 26, 2009

Confessions of a Magic n00b 1

I don't know what triggered this. Recently Weirdguy and I decided we wanted to play Magic: The Gathering. He's old hand while I'm novice (but have experience with other CCG).

I hit the official web site to check what the most current set was available. Reasoning that I wasn't going to invest in the Core set that is probably on its way out, I picked up an Intro Pack for the current expansion "Shards of Alara" (I chose Red Mana ...because I happen to like that colour). Weirdguy chose White Mana. As is my trademark, I went nuts spending much more than is necessary (meaning, for the same number of cards, I managed to spend twice as much than Weirdguy)...

The Intro pack is like a traditional "Starter Deck." However, unlike a semi-random starter, the Intro Pack has pre-selected cards. But the fixed cards only make up a majority of the deck. The set comes with a fully random booster pack. The set contains a rules and strategy sheets specific to this series. Last but not least, the pack includes a single premium foil card for those of us who like collectibility.

Also in my shopping basket: a metal tin to store my new cards, a life-counter to keep track of our stats when we play, and protective sleeves (the premium sort with artwork on one side)... And of course, just for the variety, two more boosters to try my luck.

I sorted the additional cards into 2 piles: a trading pile (cards with Mana requirements that do not fit my deck) and a pile of keepers that will serve as a side-board. Then... so armed, I was ready to challenge Weirdguy on during our next lunch break.

Stay tuned for my thoughts after my first attempt at playing...

No comments: