Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Ayanami Rei by Kotobukiya

Ayanami Rei always sort of bugged me. The whole cloning thing was beyond creepy but also it bothered me that we were introduced to her half-mummified in the early episodes. To this day I still don't understand why fanboys drool over her in bandaged form. I guess it's kind of like those people who are fascinated by car accidents.

Kotobukiya released their version of Ayanami earlier this year to coincide with the launch of the new Evangelion re-edit movies. Rei comes perched on a rock in fine form - no injuries here... maybe she's one of the fresh clones ...hmmm?



Her "plug-suit" is painted a pearlescent white finish. But more interesting is the pale blue tint of her hair. It's indeed opaque but also partially transluscent. Ayanami is also perched on a bust of EVA-00.



I don't know whether to expect any future Evangelion releases (before the next movie event). And I'm not even sure if I'd care for a matching Asuka Langley Soryu figure in PVC. I would love to have further Evangelion interpretations if they all look as gorgeous, but neither Asuka nor Shinji need to be in their pilot uniforms.

No comments: