Monday, October 27, 2008

Misato Katsuragi by Kotobukiya

Misato Katsuragi was the older woman... You know the one. She was sexy, playful with our angst-ridden teenaged main character, and had her own personal demons. She also reminds me that I never thought back then that some day I'd actually be older than "the older woman." You see, I was there when anime was just slowly becoming popular. I actually collected Neon Genesis Evangelion on VHS when ADV-Films still called themselves A.D.Vision. I'm not sure when new-school became old-school, however. All I know is that 1996 was a long time ago.

Misato is a free-standing 1/6 scale figure. She sports her trademark NERV uniform jacket and her purple mini-dress. Her cross pendant hangs from a small string, which positioned carefully, one can hide the knot holding it in place. Also, the her pistol is a seperate piece one must wedge into place.

Some folks complained that her nose was too pointy but it's all in the angles. I'm very picky with my PVC-renditions of figures because I often have a picture in my mind's eye of how a 2D design should be rendered in 3D and not every anime PVC delivers on that expectation. In fact, the only thing that bothers me about this sculpt is the molding process around her legs.

I own very few figures in a kneeling position. What disappoints me is that if one gets too close, one will notice that her thigh is actually connected to her calf. The sculpt simply did not provide enough sharpness in relief to give the illusion of an actual human leg bent at the knee. Perhaps some shading effects with the paintjob might have helped.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

She could be my hero, if she wants to be!