Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Media Manager is free? Or not?

Did anybody else get this email from Playstation Underground? The big banner proclaims that there is now a version of PSP Media Manager that is free to download. But when I click on the link, I get a 404 error. What the hell? It's as though somebody at Sony (or SCEA anyway) suddenly came to their senses and thought, "wait, why are we giving away a product we've been trying to sell for $30 for the last 3 years?"

Indeed, if you search around the Playstation Network site a bit, you'll find a "beta" version of PSPMM that is marked free (but follows the same dead link), and right below you see a "PSPMM Pro" that actually displays the retail cover art for the PSPMM we've all seen but were too smart to pay for anyway. And let's face it... only smart people read my blog, yes?

I've ...*ahem*... previously demo'ed Media Manager. And to be honest, I didn't really like it all that much. It was a little bit too... shall we say... Mac-like. I'm the kind of person who likes to know where his files are physically located. And on top of which, by the time PSPMM came out, I'd already been using a freeware alternative I was very happy with.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pfff Mac rules :)

Anonymous said...

Nah ! Taco rules !