Tuesday, January 08, 2008

adding to the DVD backlog

The nature of my backlog is a little strange - I actually have backlogs of stuff to buy rather than just stuff to watch. That is, from time to time, I come to a screeching halt because I look at the price tags and think, "nobody in their right mind would pay that!" And then I wait...

and I wait...

and I wait some more...

Eventually the discs I want go out of print and I'm screwed. Enter sales from the 'net. Just in time to get my mind off the sh*tty turn of events in my basement, I was able to pick this haul up from the post office today.

A quick rundown before I go starting to rip through the packaging to watch some anime tonight.

Irresponsible Captain Tylor is one of those old-school anime that never quite beat cult-status. I'm one of those guys who was into anime before anime was mainstream. I remember trading VHS fansubs by mail! That makes me 1337 before 1337 was invented! Anyway, I got a pretty good deal for both these "Ultra Edition" boxes (one is the TV series and the other is the OVA series).

And then there's the remastered Macross collection - for whatever reason, I got volumes 1 and 2 many moons ago and I never got volume 3. I'll admit, this was not such a great deal, but I needed something to pad the order so that I could get free shipping.

And finally, the fourth box of Patlabor - another very old-school favourite. I never completed the TV series collection. This is the franchise that all fans love but no company respects. Central Park Media couldn't even be bothered to make the cover art from volume 1 to volume 2 be consistent! Anyway, for some reason, CPM gave up just before the end of the series and decided you could not buy volume 11 seperately... Good thing I was behind because I had only up to volume 8 anyway. *close shave!*

No comments: