Sunday, October 28, 2007

squad command demo for PSP is out

I totally missed this earlier but the demo for Warhammer 40'000 Squad Command was released a few days ago. You (North American region users, at least) can get it at the official PSP content download site.

Be warned, if you're a Homebrew user you're out of luck - the demo insists running only on firmware 3.71 or else it won't start up.
After taking the demo for a spin, I gotta say I'm psyched for the full release (due out in a couple of weeks). I'm not much for turn-based strategy gaming, but context does a lot for a game and it was just cool to see a Dreadnought be as nasty as the intro cinematic of the first Dawn of War game. I mean, this is a towering behemoth of destructive power on two legs... but in Dawn of War, it's just another unit (powerful yet, but will still go down if enough enemy troops pile up). Well, the demo pits an unstoppable mecha and a team of five of the Emperor's finest against a group of Chaos (some regular dudes and some bigger guys).
Like every other turn-based game, each man has a set number of action points to spend. You move around and shoot at pretty much anything within range until you're out of points to spend. Finally you hit Start to get the turn-menu and End your Turn. Graphics are crisp (on the PSP version anyway; I hear it's coming on DS as well), and the audio is great. And like I said before, the Dreadnought is sufficiently of the BMF variety with it's ridiculously powerful weapons. I can't help wondering what else the full release will have in store.

PS: I'll be blunt, the pics in this post were taken from other sites without permission but I figure they're sufficiently generic-looking nobody will care. Get more stuff here!

No comments: