Saturday, October 13, 2007

Reaction: Rise of the Silver Surfer

The F4 sequel is finally out on DVD (and in my collection). I don't know what the big deal is, but Rise of the Silver Surfer turned out to be much better than people have been telling me. But maybe that's because I saw it after I watched 2 astoundingly mediocre films: Across the Universe and 3:10 to Yuma.

In fact, I could only come up with 3 major gripes with the this Fantastic Four outing.
1) I don't know who was in charge of costuming and make-up, but for all the good they did for The Surfer (the combination CG and suit FX were amazingly real) Sue Storm got the crap end of the stick. I don't know it is, but Jessica Alba looked horrible for at least the first half of the film.

2) Photography choices were a little on the dark side. I have my home theatre calibrated to THX standard but I spent a lot of time (particularly during scenes at night) squinting at my screen. Which is a shame because there was a lot to see during the action shots.

3) The universal threat reduced to a name. Galactus is a powerful and ancient creature. He's got reasons for doing what he does... And the ending was kind of vague.

Other than these 3 nits to pick, I actually enjoyed the movie. F4 is the kind of film that Marvel ought to be churning out. The Marvel Universe's roots are firmly in 1960s and for that, there is a lot of inherent cheesiness. But people tend to think (thanks to "serious" movies like Batman Begins) that super-hero movies can't be campy. So I ask, Why not? The original F4 comics were full of comedy. What other series would have the nerve to title itself "The World's Greatest Comic Magazine!?"
So I recommend to kick back, get comfortable, and have some fun with a movie.

1 comment:

MrBabou said...

1) it's the blond hair - it doesn't go well on her I think. She looks great in dark brown, and that's how she should stay.

2) I didn't notice that

3) The space dust effect was awesome, but so unrepresentative of Galactus. All we got of his real appearance was a shadow on Saturn. Why? When I saw the shadow, I was excited because I though "wow, they're gonna show Galactus, and it was sort of kept a secret because we never saw him in trailers. Awesome!" But what a dissapointment.

4) I like the humour in the FF4 movies, but in the second one, there were more goofy parts. Almost stupid.

But overall I was also pleased, but not as much as with the first movie. And as little as I remember SS's story, I think they pretty much stuck with it. Me and Annie enjoyed it, and it's a good thing that it wasn't a long movie.