Friday, August 10, 2007

UFS: Chun Li (set 4)

Just a thought - I'm still a relative n00b when it comes to UFS. But I thought it'd be fun to take a look at the contents of the starter box I picked up today. Chun Li is perhaps one of the first fighter game characters I ever played (if not the first) and I've always liked her speed and relative ease to play (who else had such an easy throw?).

Well, for the deck, it's the usual sort of thing to expect - a playable mix of cards, some from the "The Dark Path" expansion, and some exclusives. I wish I knew which were the exclusives but since I don't know off hand, I just scanned a couple of my favourite cards from the box. Of course, besides the character card, I chose to show a card based on the artwork more than anything. And really, you can't go wrong with licensed work by the guys at Udon Studios.

The card I'm showing off has the amusing title "Strength and Beauty." It's one of those hit-or miss cards that played at the right moment could turn a regular attack into a devastating one. I haven't taken the time to check how many Reversal cards are in this particular box yet but if it's anything like the Terry Bogard box, then there's a good chance this card could come in useful.


On a more general view, without actually playing the deck yet (since I have no-one to play with until I meet up with my brother next weekend), I remark that the deck appears fairly well balanced. Which leads me to believe I've just been the victim of bad luck when my first box (Taki of Soul Calibur 3) was severely unbalanced - it had many more Attacks than Foundations. Since Attacks tend to have lower control check values, it was proportionately more difficult to play the Foundations... I've spent my time since attempting to rebalance the Taki deck.

I also remark that Chun Li's attack cards seem to deal less damage than the average (some of them only 2 Damage)... Not sure if it's my imagination. But I did come across an Enhance while shuffling through the deck that boosts Attacks - but only those with low damage. Hmm... I wonder... Anyway, can't wait to try it out... And we'll see how she does stock and later when I start tweaking it with cards from boosters.

Bonus: for fun, I also wanted to share this classic (classic in that it was published some 10 years or so ago) image of Chun Li by Satoshi Urushihara. Enjoy it because it was a pain looking through so many freakin' hentai images to find this! ^_^;

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I got this box of Chun-Li as well, so I can tell you a little about it.

It's really an interesting deck, that relies a lot on Multiples and kicks. But the weakest part of it is that majority of the cards have a control of 2. That makes it really bad.