Wednesday, August 08, 2007

New Toy! Logitech MX Revolution

It seems ridiculous now that I think about it. Ridiculous in more ways than one. Firstly, I realize that my mouse doesn't work... It hasn't worked in years. The scroll wheel was buggy and jumped my pages around uncontrollably any time I touched it. Well, I learned to live without it because up until this mouse, I didn't even have a wheel to begin with. But after many visitors on many weekend stays in a row pointing out the obvious to me - that my mouse DOES NOT WORK, I decided it was time to replace that POS mouse I bought for $10...

Ultimately, the situation has improved... but the situation is still ridiculous. Yes... my mouse is now the most advanced piece of technology attached to my PC. Next to my haphazard PC case (which makes it looks sort of fast and furious), my POS computer still sports a mismatched keyboard (an old IBM Media Pro of which the driver is not even installed at the moment), and a mismatched beige monitor... my fresh MX Revolution is a Ferrari to my f*cking Daewoo computer.

But am I enjoying the new mouse or what? Still got a little kinks to work out like customizing some of the functions but this baby has the coolest scroll wheel I've ever played with. It clicks for precision scrolling, but then if I'm scrolling on an unusually long page, it automatically disengages the micro-gear and allows me to free-spin the wheel. And despite the warnings I've seen on some sites, the latest version of Logitech's "Setpoint" driver (4.0) does work with Firefox. The Docu-flip wheel at my thumb becomes and alt-tab and the forward and back navigation buttons also work in Firefox 2. And to top it off, the little auto-search button works great: it was relatively inuitive to reset it from Yahoo to Google.ca.

So far so good. Not sure if it'll make a big difference to gaming (doubt it) but it is nice to actually be able to use the zoom functions in RTS games now.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sure looks cool though!

MrBabou said...

Oh man, you couldn't zoom?!?!?!

Ben-Ohki said...

Heck, I'm just happy to have a working wheel now! :P