Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Tubes Backlog for July

List stuff I'm too lazy to put up decent posts for.

Civil War: Wolverine TPB
Got this cheap through Amazon. It's an awesome story proving that from time to time, a tie-in can be done right despite the nebulous nature of big events. Wolvie goes AWOL and does what he does best: hunts down Nitro (the guy who blew away Stamford, thus kick-starting Civil War). Along the way he also uncovers a bigger plot behind Civil War. All this plus groovy Humberto Ramos art.

Revoltech: Giant Robo
I'm on a revivalist kick lately and finally started hunting down the DVDs of "The Night the Earth Stood Still." This figure is typical quality for Revoltech - chunky PVC goodness. And the paint job is fantastic: on such a small head there are actually eyes on the facial details. Johnny Socko would've been proud.

Hellboy Director's Cut DVD
Arrived in the mail from eBay. 2004 doesn't seem so long ago but damn, I forgot how much I enjoyed it. The 3-disc set presents a new interpretation of "cast commentary." It's not a commentary track: it's actually a video for you to watch them watch the movie. Lots of other goodies too.

Bunch of Warhammer40k stuff
I don't usually do this but I'm giving a shout-out to Maelstrom Games. They're a UK outfit dealing in tabletop-games at bulk pricing and free shipping. I just got a paint set retailing $40CAD for only $20. That's a no-brainer. I also got the Cities of Death expansion rulebook so I can't wait to read it and try some urban warfare scenarios.

Monsieur Bome 22: Rin Tohsaka
I said I'd stop getting these. It wasn't bad in the beginning when they came out once every 6 months. But now, forget it. I don't have the money or space to get them all. However, I'm making an exception for Rin because... I'm in love. She's comes off a little cold in the anime version of Fate/Stay Night, but gradually warms up throughout the series. And yes, I'm such a loser.

Cutey Honey Live-Action DVD LE
I haven't had a lunch box in 20 years. But the LE version came in a tin featuring an embossed image of Eriko Sato as Honey and I couldn't resist. Loved the movie from the first fansub I downloaded years ago, but seeing it in a full DD5.1 mix is awesome. The dub was tolerable too (the mix is a little clearer in English than on the Japanese track).

Guitar Hero Encore: Rocks the 80's
"Shootin' at the walls of heartache, Bang Bang!!" It's GH2 all over again but with less bonus features. However the set list is way better. It's tough to play a music game when you aren't enjoying the music. But for this edition, even when I'm not familiar with the tune, I'm still having loads of fun. My PS2 has been the longest-lasting console investment I've ever made.

No comments: