Monday, March 02, 2009

Things I've been up to...

Just because I haven't posted anything useless in a while:

The video backlog is fluctuating. Finally finished Gurren Lagann. Loaned the DVDs to Weirdguy. Finished my collection of certain fansubs. In the mood for romantic comedy so it's Kanon and Tonaguri. Right now I'm enjoying Tonaguri much more than Kanon (I had high-expectations for
Kanon since I loved Air and Clannad).

I put a hold on Kenichi Ultimate Disciple while I read the manga. I've been spoiled by Amazon's service (when they have stuff in stock). It took Archambault over 2 weeks to deliver my impulse-buy. Is 2 weeks even considered "impulsive?"

Speaking of Amazon, after that Street Fighter 4 incident (I did wind up finding it the next night), I placed a pre-order at Amazon for Resident Evil 5. It will fall under "nice to have" category. I was hell-bent on the SF4 CE was that I'm a long-time fan of the franchise and wanted to
see the OVA that comes with it. For RE5, not so much, but the fanboy in me thinks it'll be cool to have the announced (a collectible figure, patch, medallion, messenger bag with company logo, etc).

As for SF4, I still not particularly good. Sometimes I blame the game, sometimes I think I'm just sloppy. As a veteran SF player for the last 15 years, I know my strengths and weaknesses. I know I play better with an arcade stick than a D-pad. I know that I play a decent game on Medium difficulty. So why is it that on Easiest (while I'm trying to unlock new characters) I wipe the floor with every opponent, but then Abel, Zangief, and Seth come along make life hell?

Dawn of War 2 was a little bit dissappointing. Because of the dramatic shift in game mechanics from the previous DoW, I decided to play my campaign on a lower difficulty. So far the only certainty is I learned to handle special abilities and the different unit types. But I'm also
peeved that there doesn't appear to be a skirmish tutorial (not that I really looked for it). Campaign mode gives you some dudes, then you get a few more, then upgrades Diablo-style. So now I'm running on auto-pilot to level-up. I have a history of reaching final bosses without having enough XP. Don't want to make that mistake this time.

Finally, I picked up Prinny: Can I really be the hero? for PSP. The PSP battery turned out to be completely dead (I hadn't used it in several months). So I decided to let it charge overnight. Thought I'd give it a try this morning but then it asked to do a firmware update (certainly
didn't have time for that before work). Anyway, The game came with an audio CD with a couple of vocal tracks and in-game instrumentals. The insert CD insert is a single sheet folded twice (a reversible cover, translated lyrics, 1-page comic), Funny how the back of the box made it
sound like you were supposed to get a whole bunch of stuff. I'm just happy that besides some shelf-wear, I was at least able to get the notorious EB Games stickers off the box without damaging it much.

No comments: