Tuesday, December 26, 2006

Boxing Day Haul

Quick post more to do with the excitment of discovering a new game than the actual shopping (although that was cool too). I gave my brother a bunch of Star Wars Miniatures "Starship Battles" for his non-denominational annual year-end gift (aka a X'mas present in some circles). Yes, I was going a little nuts with the spending, but in my view, it was kind of half for myself anyway since... well, it takes 2 to play anyway. And did we play - I think we squeezed in 3 games as of today. And the great thing is, since it's a relatively newly launched game, there aren't that many rules to worry about (and even less errata published so far).

Ref. the following:
about clone strike

My brother and I hit the local gaming shop this year as we do every year for our Boxing Day ritual and found that the store was able to get in a case of the old Clone Strike expansion. My brother bought a few boxes. Found a few cool characters including Yoda, young Anakin, and a couple of Jedi who appeared in Episodes 2 and 3 of the films.

But the big "best buy" this year was a case of the "Bounty Hunters" expansion set. The store owner, who is on a first name basis with my brother, pointed out that he had cases to liquidate... and since I was ready to buy 2 or 3 at $20 apiece anyway, it was a no-brainer at only $80 a case (that's like getting 2 boxes free). My brother and I split the cost (sort of, but I'm not counting - it's the holiday season after all).

Finally, I also grabbed a new Warhammer tank model to add to my alien army. It's been something I've been putting off forever. And I think I've reached a point in my WH40K hobby where I'm just collecting the army models just for completeness since I've grown weary of experimenting with failure-inducing army construction... "stick with what you know" is my motto these days.

3 comments:

MrBabou said...

Speaking of Warhammer, I grabbed the Dawn of War Dark Crusade PC game a few days ago. It was only $20 at FS!!! It's like an expansion to the strategy game, except you don't need the original games to play. You have to conquer Kronos one area at a time à la Battle for Middle-Earth. I like it :-D

MrBabou

Ben-Ohki said...

Ah - so if I tell you the model was a Tau Sky-Ray you will know that it was a heavy-support "missle-boat." Cool.

Anonymous said...

I didn't go out to shop this year.. I must be getting lazy! I think the only thing I considered getting was a DS Lite. I didn't get one though.