Monday, March 07, 2011

Sideshow Collectibles Clone Trooper

I'll be honest: I did not plan this. I was serious when I thought the prices would be a deterrent to buying too many of these Premium Format series sculptures. And even then I thought, "I'll limit myself to collecting only the generic troops." I seriously didn't know a Clone Trooper would be released within 2 months of deciding I would buy the Scout Trooper.The decision came down to this simple fact: buy it now or buy it later at a huge mark-up. I bought it now and it didn't cost anywhere near what a paid for the previous statue. I even got the "Episode III" exclusive head option.
Unlike the Scout Trooper there never was a physical costume at Lucasfilm for the Clone armoured troops - it was always a CG render in the films. So Sideshow's challenge was to make an interpretation of the suit where all the edges worked together without "cheating." Compared to the Scout Trooper, there's a lot less fabric parts of this figure and generally a lot less details to miniaturize.
It does feature weathering details - the armour is not a pure white but is covered in a brown of Geonosis dust. He wears a textured body-suit under the armour. And of course, carries a standard-issue rifle. The junked Seperatist battle-droid arm on the ground is also an exclusive option (the statue does come with a "plug" to hide the hold where the optional arm plugs into the base).
Of course, he does come with the regular "Episode 2" head to in case for some reason you got the exclusive version without wanting it...
But why would you do that?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I can't imagine a real person underneath it. The proportions are all wrong unless it's meant to be a robot?