Thursday, April 01, 2010

GFFMC bonus item

Those following me will have noted how excited I've been to be part of the latest revival to the Mobile Suit Gundam franchise because Sunrise has seen fit to finally revisit the original Universal Century time-line. While the first installment of Gundam Unicorn only released world-wide this past month, the Bandai marketing machine has been churning away for almost a whole year now.

Last week saw the release of the latest GFFMC (a deluxe collector's grade line of action figures) as the titular mecha from the series with fully deploying panels to "powered up" mode. But you don't need to me to tell you how awesome this not-model-kit figure is (or how expensive it was to import).
I do want to share some pics of something unusual. I'm not sure if this was a pre-order bonus or perhaps just a limited run for the first batch to come out of the factory. I received this art portfolio along with my figure.The translucent slip contains a collection of single-sided cards showing everything from line-art to CAD diagrams that went into the toy's design. All of these A4 sheets are adorned with the fictional figures detailing the abilities and specs of the Gundam Unicorn.
The only thing that bugs me is that I didn't really have a choice to opt out of this item. When I pre-ordered the price included this "special item" but after the initial pre-orders were filled, amiami.com later listed a "version" of the same figure for about $10 less (the approximate equivalent in Japanese yen) but without the chance to own this art portfolio. I'm happy to have this as part of my collection, but honestly, right after I post this blog entry, I'm likely to put it all back into its envelope, never to be looked at again.

1 comment:

running42k said...

Nice to see you are still around.