Friday, June 19, 2009

Nanoha ...ready for summer!

Just in time for the official announcement (and release of the prototype photos) for the her best friend Fate T Harlaown, I spent my OT pay on the quarter scale (but full-scale *kawaii*) Nanoha Takamachi. At first I was taken aback by the size of the box delivered to my local post-office pick-up.Turns out the seller was just being extra generous with the packing. Quarter scale figures are pretty large to begin with, often towering over 12 inches. This seller took no chances and wrapped the package in tissue paper to prevent scratches and then a layer of bubble wrap and then settling it into this oversize box.Nanoha is the heroine of a "magical girl" spin-off from ...where else but in Japan... an eroge. So take away the hentai, drop the cast of younger siblings into an alternate setting and voila: instant lolita-icon. But... thankfully, with continuity progression, pedophiles are out of luck and little Nanoha has grown into quite a beauty.As far as sculpt goes, she is almost free-standing (she is, but don't even breathe on her else she will topple). She does come with the usual plastic base, which so functional that I debated whether or not to use the metal support rod. I'm not a big fan of those, I think they make a figure look stupid.
Others have pointed out that despite her large scale, there's very little detail on the sculpt. I do, however, appreciate that the strings on her bikini are separate bits in some places, which is rather cool. Can't ask for everything, but it's hard not to considering how wonderful the FREEing renditions of the Haruhi girls were. Does this mean, I'm disappointed? Not really. Especially not when she smiles at me the way she does. ^_^;

1 comment:

he and she reviews said...

My brother and FI collect figures. I never really got into it but my brother is a crazy about them and seriously his room is just filled with all kinds of figures. I like how you reviewed this figure.